Mittwoch, 5. Oktober 2016

"I go to sleep with it and I wake up with it" - 5 Questions with Laurens Jansen





That oldschool vibe - this is what Laurens Jansen from Belgium is all about. Countless Hip Hop pages on Facebook, Instagram and other platforms in the world wide web know his - well, if they don't know his name, they know at least his drawings. 

In the Hip Hop community Laurens' portraits have been around for a couple of time but who is the man behind these accurate, detailed pictures? 
By looking at the characteristic faces of the legends that defined Hip Hop culture every sucker for this art and lifestyle will be taken away to the streets of Compton or the Bronx and to the crowd of their last concert, the sweaty arms swinging to the rhythm of the beat. 
"When I say hip, you say hop! HIP?" - "HOP!".

So what comes first in your mind when thinking of art in the Hip Hop scene? Well - most would say graffiti. Could the style of Jansen be a new movement? Regarding Laurens as a serious artist who draws Hip Hop legends is still mainly appreciated within the scene. Since his work is so accurate and of high quality he might take the culture to fields it has never been before.


Here are the five questions I asked Laurens yesterday.

Laurens, why do you mainly draw Hip Hop legends? Why is it such a big thing for you?

I draw them because I fell in love with Hip Hop a long time ago. I listen to it while drawing and it brings out the creative side in me.

When did your drawings get public attention for the first time?

The drawing of Method Man I did a few years ago was reposted by the Wu Tang fanpage. It reached 40.000 likes in no time. 

What has been your biggest accomplishment so far?

To get appreciation from some of the biggest names in Hip Hop, like Nino Brown from Junior M.A.F.I.A. We talked about Biggie and what kind of person he was. And to be able to take my Biggie art to Bed Stuy, Brooklyn is one of the best things I've accomplished so far.

The Biggie art is my personal favourite! What does inspire you in him?

He's my absolute favourite! I've done like 15 portraits of him. His style, swag, rhymes... Biggie defines Hip Hop for me. If people are Biggie fans and see my pictures it makes them smile and gives them a good vibe.

Do you see drawing as a hobby or a job?

I see my drawing as a passion, a way to express myself. It's more than a hobby, I go to sleep with it and I wake up with it.





Instagram: @laurensjdrawings

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

State your opinion!