Samstag, 10. September 2016

"People started to pay me for my photos. That was kind of scary" - 5 Questions with Christoph Schaller


VOGUE, Levi's, New York Magazine - just a couple of big names the German photographer Christoph Schaller has worked for. 
Starting to take pictures in his teenage years, the 25-year old photographer from Munich has now become an influential and successful force in his field. 
Luckily, I had the chance to ask him 5 questions about how he started, what he is currently working on and which subjects he prefers to take photos of.

When did you realise that photography is to become one of your purposes in life?

"I would say that there wasn't a particular 'moment'. I have started taking pictures in school, mainly when I was travelling. As with any other thing I do, I became more and more ambitious about it. I wanted to improve constantly and became obsessed with it. Then, people started to pay me for taking photos. That was kind of scary because I've never really "studied" photography. This is how my hobby finally turned into my job. I mean, I do other projects too, but I'm primarily a photographer." 

What has been your favourite scene so far? A subject that you wanted to show in all facets?

"This is a really tough decision. Although I prefer to take photos of people instead of objects, I really love the first photo in the book. A car in front of a house in Los Angeles. It was such a surreal and picturesque situation." 


first page of Schaller's book "01"

Which project is currently the matter of your heart?

"Lately, we've been establishing a scholarship programme with our studio 'The Stu'. We created a space for young creatives that allows them to work on their skills with us. It's such a lot of fun and I highly support this exchange of knowledge. Since I was a beginner myself not long ago, I know that it can be hard to find your feet in this field. That's why we try to help."

What has been your biggest "award"?

"Every person who likes my photos. To realise that your work is touching other people and to get credit for it, that's the most important thing, I guess."

What are you working towards at the moment?

"In terms of photography I'm trying to work for bigger magazines that I'm also a big fan of - 'ID', 'Gentlewoman' or 'Fantastic Man'."



Schaller's book "01" available at www.christophschaller.com

By showing that passion and ambition can lead you anywhere, Schaller inspires young people to work for their dreams. His unique photos and his individual style are his ticket to become one of the big fishes in the business. Furthermore, he never hesitates to go for different projects and re-invent himself.

I really thank Christoph for taking the time to answer my questions and I wish him all the best!


If my German readers want to have an exclusive look on the original answers, just scroll a little bit further ;)



1. Ich würde sagen, dass es da keinen “einen” Moment gab, in dem ich das wusste. Ich habe noch während der Schule angefangen zu fotografieren, hauptsächlich auf Reisen, und wie bei vielen Sachen, die ich so mache, hat mich nach einer Weile der Ehrgeiz gepackt. Ich wollte immer bessere Fotos machen und habe mich dann da so reingesteigert. Irgendwann haben mir dann Leute angefangen Geld dafür zu geben, Fotos zu machen. Das war am Anfang ein bisschen beängstigend, weil ich ja keine Ausbildung gemacht oder irgendwas in dem Bereich gelernt habe, aber so wurde Fotografie dann mehr und mehr tatsächlich zu meinem Job. Ich mache ja auch andere Sachen, aber Fotografieren nimmt auf jeden Fall den größten Teil ein. 

2. Das ist sehr, sehr schwierig zu sagen. Obwohl ich eigentlich lieber Menschen fotografiere als Dinge finde ich zum Beispiel im Buch das erste Bild (mit dem Auto vor dem Haus in Los Angeles) nicht schlecht. Das war eine total surreal pittoreske Situation irgendwie. 

3. Wir haben mit unserem Studio (http://www.wecallitthestu.com/) seit einer Weile ein “Scholarship Programme” angefangen. Das heißt wir geben jungen Kreativen einen Platz in unserem Studio, etc. for free und arbeiten mit ihnen gemeinsam an ihren Fertigkeiten. Das macht echt Spaß und ist denke ich eine super Sache, wenn man sein Wissen teilen kann. Gerade am Anfang, der bei mir ja auch noch nicht so lange her ist, ist es meiner Meinung nach sehr schwierig, mal hineinzufinden in diesen ganzen Bereich. Dabei wollen wir behilflich sein. 

4. Jeder Mensch, der mir sagt, dass er meine Fotos super findet. Das ist mir glaube am wichtigsten. Dass man sieht, dass man etwas bei den Menschen auslöst und Anerkennung dafür bekommt. 

5. Was Fotografie angeht will ich in hoffentlich naher Zukunft den Sprung zu den größeren Magazinen schaffen, von denen ich selber großer Fan bin. ID, Gentlewoman, Fantastic Man, etc. etc. 

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

State your opinion!